The present trend in historical studies is toward the apprehension of the human past in all its complexity and totality. The Bachelor of Arts (History) - B.A. (History) - programme at Egerton University is based on this approach in respect to the fields of specialization and the area or country studies offered. It is anchored in the theories and methods developed since the emergence of History as an academic discipline.
The programme dove-tails with University‘s mission of producing well-rounded graduates in all areas of human endeavour. It is offered to students aspiring to a professional career in History or otherwise seeking to specialize in the discipline. It thus provides an excellent springboard for those intending to pursue postgraduate studies in History. Alternatively, it should serve the pre-qualification requirements for careers in such fields as Public Administration, Education, Law, Diplomacy, Journalism, Archival Work, and Museology.
Besides imparting knowledge, skills and attitudes relevant for life in a globalized world, the B.A. (History) programme at Egerton University aims at inculcating patriotism in the students while fostering international understanding. Specifically, the programme endeavours to:
To be eligible for admission into the B.A. (History) programme at Egerton University, the applicants must satisfy the general University requirements;
Mininum Entry Requirements for Bachelor's Degree
The entry requirements set out below are only minimum, and they in no way entitle an applicant to a place in the University. Applicants must:
Meet additional entry requirements as may be specified by the respective Department, Faculty, School or Institute.
To be admitted for a PRE-SERVICE DEGREE PROGRAM, a prospective candidate must have all the requirements set up by the joint Admission Board (JAB), with a prospective IN-SERVICE student must have completed a diplomaprogram in the relevant field and graduated with at least a CREDIT.
The B.A. (History) ate Egerton University is a structured and discipline-specific curriculum. The novelty of the programme is that the specialty ―History‖ shall be designated on the degree certificate to be awarded. Consequently, eighty percent (80%) of the Credit Factors (CFs) shall be drawn from History. The remaining twenty percent (20%) of the CFs are taken from disciplines other than History in order to expose the students to a well-rounded programme of study. The latter include the University Common Core Courses.
The programme is normally covered in four (4) academic years for full-time students. Part-time students are allowed to cover it within eight (8) academic years;
In order to graduate, students in the programme must successfully complete a total of one hundred and thirty-seven decimal five (137.5) CFs. These shall include one hundred and ten (110) CFs in History and twenty-seven decimal five (27.5) CFs of the courses in non-History disciplines indicated in the Schedule of Courses.
All First and Second Year courses are compulsory.
In each semester of the Third and Fourth Years, students shall take a total of nine (9) CFs of elective courses in addition to the compulsory courses indicated in the Schedule of Courses. The elective courses will be offered depending on the students‘ interest and the availability of staff.