The Bachelor of Education (Primary) programme at Egerton University is designed to prepare an efficient and effective primary school teacher, leader and manager capable of adapting to the ever-changing environment.
The programme will also prepare the students to think deeply in the practice of their profession and exploit opportunities for further education and training.
Bachelor of Education Primary - objectives
The objectives of Bachelor of Education (Primary) programme at Egerton University are to:
- enhance the teacher's subject content and pedagogical knowledge, skills and attitudes.
- improve the teacher's ability to handle-:
- all subjects at lower primary and
- one of the specialist areas at upper primary level
- develop a primary school teacher who is creative and capable of discovering, understanding, controlling and adapting technologies.
- improve a teacher's communication skills.
- enable the primary school teacher develop the child's ability in critical and creative thinking, problem solving and self-expression.
- develop the teacher's awareness, understanding and commitment in the following-:
- professional ethics and education law
- basic human rights and civil liberties
- sound health practices
- sound environment management and
- gender equity.
- develop a teacher's ability to conduct educational research.
- improve a teacher's leadership and managerial skills.
- prepare a teacher for further education and training.
To be eligible for admission to the BEd. (Primary) programme at Egerton University, the applicant must be:
- A holder of KCSE or equivalent and P1 Certificate plus a minimum of 2 years teaching experience OR
- Diploma holders who have taught for at least 2 years and wish to specialize in primary education.
Mininum Entry Requirements for Bachelor's Degree
The entry requirements set out below are only minimum, and they in no way entitle an applicant to a place in the University. Applicants must:
- Have the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education with an average grade C+ (C plus)passed at one sitting from at least seven subjects drawn from subject groupings as specified by the Kenya National Examinations Council or its equivalent.
- Have one of the following combinations of passes in the Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education examination:
- Two (2) Principal passes obtained at the same sitting.
- Egerton University Statutes 2008 43
- Two (2) Principal passes obtained at different sittings provided the passes are of Grade C or higher.
- Hold a Diploma of Egerton University with a 'Credit' pass or higher or an equivalent
- Qualification from a recognized institution in the relevant field of specialization acceptable to Senate. Those with a 'Pass' Diploma will be considered if they have at least two years relevant experience after graduation.
Meet additional entry requirements as may be specified by the respective Department, Faculty, School or Institute.
To be admitted for a PRE-SERVICE DEGREE PROGRAM, a prospective candidate must have all the requirements set up by the joint Admission Board (JAB), with a prospective IN-SERVICE student must have completed a diplomaprogram in the relevant field and graduated with at least a CREDIT.
Bachelor of Education Primary - course content
B.Ed (Primary) shall constitute a minimum duration of 4 years of 120 Credit Factors (CF) drawn from core courses, professional courses, content areas and research project.
Students may exit from the programme with a Diploma in Education as long as they certify the minimum requirement of 90 Credit Factors in courses prescribed by the Faculty.
Students will be required to pass all courses registered before graduation.
Students will be expected to write a research project report, which will begin in year 3. University rules and regulations for Credit Transfer shall apply (upto 30% of the courses).