Software engineering (SE) is concerned with developing and maintaining software systems that behave reliably and efficiently, are affordable to develop and maintain, and satisfy all the requirements that customers have defined for them. It is important because of the impact of large, expensive software systems and the role of software in safety-critical applications.
This Software Engineering degree programme at Multimedia University integrates significant mathematics, computer science and practices whose origins are in engineering. The programme also:
- focuses on software development and goes beyond programming to include such things as eliciting customer requirements, and designing and testing software.
- focuses on a range of topics that are essential to the software engineering agenda (problem modeling and analysis, software design, software verification and validation, software quality, software process, software management, etc.).
- ensures students learn how to assess customer needs and develop usable software that meets those needs.
Software engineer: job description
Software engineers are responsible for the complete life cycle of a new or modified software product, from research and design to implementation, training and support.
Typical employers of software engineers
- Software companies
- IT consultancies
- Electronics, IT and telecommunications companies
- Research and Academia
Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering - objectives
Within three to five years of graduating, alumni of the Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering degree programme at Multimedia University are expected to achieve one or more of the following milestones:
- Graduates of the program obtain employment as software developers, where their software and communication skills eventually propel them toward technical and administrative leadership positions in industry and government.
- Graduates of the program demonstrate an ability to continue to learn throughout their career and to keep pace with changing technology as appropriate to their positions.
- Graduates of the program specialize and enhance their software engineering knowledge by enrolling and completing technical graduate courses and other technical education to position them to advance software engineering practice as senior technical staff members or managers.
- Graduates of the program specialize and enhance their software engineering knowledge by enrolling and graduating from MSc and PhD degree programs to position them to contribute to the intellectual foundations of the discipline of software engineering as researchers in industrial and government laboratories as well as in academia.
- Graduates of the program advance toward becoming leaders in disciplines other than software engineering by enrolling and graduating from graduate-level degree programs in complimentary disciplines such as law and business, where the BSSE serves as an educational foundation.
- Graduates of the program will demonstrate an awareness of their professional and social responsibility as software engineers by participation in professional activities and application of their knowledge for the good of society.
The entry requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering degree programme at Multimedia University are:
- Mean grade C+, with C+ in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and English language OR
- A-Level two principal passes and one subsidiary pass in the relevant subjects OR
- Relevant professional qualifications approved by the University Senate