Computer science is one of the fastest growing technology fields. Currently there are more jobs in this industry than graduates, making computer science students highly sought after by local and national companies. Most students graduate with a job already lined up.
Computer science is the study of software, hardware, and theoretical aspects of computing devices, along with the study of the application of computing in scientific, engineering, business, and other areas. Note that although programming is a part of computer science, it is only one part, and strong computer science programs require not only programming classes, but classes in other areas of computer science as well.
Computer scientists do many different types of work, from helping computers to run more efficiently, to making them safer, and improving mobile devices and other computerized technologies.
As a computer scientist, you can work with software testing, video game design, animation, computer system evaluation, and website or mobile phone application creation.
Bachelor Science Computer Science - objectives
Students who complete the Bachelor of Science programme at Kimathi University will have:
- an ability to aply knowledge of computing and mathematics appropriate to the discipline.
- an ability to analyze a problem, and identify and define the computing requirements appropriate to its solution.
- an ability to design, implement, and evaluate a computer-based system, process,component, or program to meet desired needs.
- an ability to function effectively on teams to accomplish a common goal..
- an understanding of professional, ethical, legal, security and social issues and responsibilities.
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- an ability to analyze the local and global impact of computing on individuales, organizations, and society.
- recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in continuing professional development.
- an ability to use current techniques, skills, and tools necessary for computing practice.
- An ability to aply mathematical foundations, algorithmic principles, and computer secience theory in the modeling and design of computer-based systems in a way that demonstrates comprehension of the tradeoffs involved in design choices.
- an ability to apply design and development principles in the construction of software systems of varying complexity.
To be eligible for the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science degree programme at Kimathi University a prospective student requires one of the following:
- KCSE B and the following minimum grades in individual cluster subjects: Alternative A: Mathematics C+, Physics C+, Chemistry C+, C+ in Biology or any group III (History and Government, Geography, Christian Religious Education, Islamic Religious Education and Hindu Religious Education) or any group IV (Home Science, Art and Design, Agriculture, Aviation Technology, Computer Studies). Or any group V (French, German, Arabic, Music, Business Studies) or equivalent qualifications obtained in other examination systems.
- KACE or A level applicants: At least two principal passes in Mathematics and Physics and a minimum of 9 points at least a credit pass in Chemistry at the KCE or its equivalent.