Agriculture is the mainstay of the Kenyan Economy. Agricultural activities that support increasing human populations are currently based on 20 % of the high rainfall zone. The arid and semi-arid fragile ecosystems constitute the remaining 80 % land surface of marginal productivity. These fragile ecosystems are rich in biodiversity and characterized by a myriad of terrestrial and marine wildlife, natural and physical scenic features and a rich diversity in the social cultural heritage of the people. Wildlife based tourism has dominated the tourism industry in the arid and semi-arid areas, however, the demand for cropping land and other development activities threaten the future sustainability of wildlife resources.
In view of the critical needs to resolve the escalating conflicts of interest between the state and the local communities that have a stake in wildlife resources, there is need to bolster both the consumptive and non-consumptive attributes of wildlife resources. This will ensure that communities living with wildlife benefit from hosting wildlife in their private property. Skilled manpower will be needed to implement new wildlife consumptive and non-consumptive policies and provide key resource management, advisory and research capacity to meet the needs of current and future challenges.
The Egerton Univeristy wildlife management curriculum is designed to increase awareness of the importance of wildlife economic activities viable mode of land use from marginal ecosystems. Laws and policies related to wildlife protection, biodiversity conservation and consumptive utilization of wildlife resources are presently inadequate and the existing ones do not comprehensively provide for sustainability of wildlife biodiversity resources.Trained wildlife resource persons are considered critical in the management of biodiversity based wildlife resources.Professional capacity in integrated wildlife enterprise management is vital in the provision of advisory services and overall conservation and enhancement of wildlife based resources.
The BSc Wildlife Enterprise and Management programme at Egerton University will provide broad based and specialized training for students who wish to develop careers in areas related to wildlife enterprise development and management, resource use, protection and conservation of wildlife ecosystems.
On completion of the study programme, graduates will be able to:
To be eligible for admission into this BSc. in Wildlife Enterprise and Management programme at Egerton University, candidates must have attained at least a mean grade of C+ at Kenya Certificate of Secondary EducationKCSE. level or other equivalent examination or qualification recognized by the Egerton University Senate.
In addition, the candidates must have at least grade C in Mathematics, C+ in Biology or B- in Biological Sciences, C in Chemistry, B- in Geography or History and Government, and at least C+ in English or Kiswahili at K.C.S.E. Candidates with Diploma from institutions recognized by Egerton University Senate will also be considered for admission.
Mininum Entry Requirements for Bachelor's Degree
The entry requirements set out below are only minimum, and they in no way entitle an applicant to a place in the University. Applicants must:
Meet additional entry requirements as may be specified by the respective Department, Faculty, School or Institute.
To be admitted for a PRE-SERVICE DEGREE PROGRAM, a prospective candidate must have all the requirements set up by the joint Admission Board (JAB), with a prospective IN-SERVICE student must have completed a diplomaprogram in the relevant field and graduated with at least a CREDIT.
The BSc. in Wildlife Enterprise and Management degree programme at Egerton University shall cover four academic years of two semesters each. Each semester shall consist of seventeen 17. weeks, which comprises fifteen15. teaching weeks and two weeks for examination. At the end year 3 semester 2, the students will undergo an eight-week field attachment.
The duration for Diploma holders will depend on the number of credit factors transferred as per the University regulations.