The Diploma in Procurement and Supplies Management programme at Egerton University endeavors to produce graduates with the skills and knowledge required for efficient acquisition and disposal of organization resources. The development of the programme is premised on:
i) The fact that Kenya and the rest of East Africa region has dire shortage of qualified procurement staff.
ii) The need to support the ongoing priofessionaliza5tion of the procurement process.
iii) This process is driven by increasing public awareness of the need to guard against waste and corrupt use of public resources.
iv) The need to provide manpower that will drive Kenya‟s vision 2030. The vision envisages the channelling of considerable resources to certain identified key sectors. This will strengthen existing procurement capacity. There is therefore need to expand training opportunities so as to ensure realization of your vision.
v) The need to come up with an innovative training programme that is cognizant of the changing environment in which procurement is conducted.
Diploma in Procurement and Supplies Management - objectives
By the end of training, this Diploma in Procurement and Supplies Management programme is expected to:
- Enable the graduates to acquire skills and knowledge for proper management of Organizations‟ resources.
- Enable the graduates to effectively and efficiently handle acquisition and disposal of Organizations‟
- Enable graduates to carry out research with a view to finding solutions to procurement problems affecting the organization.
- Equip students with skills for career in procurement and Logistics Management in the public and private sector
- Prepare students for further studies.
The common University admission criteria is applicable. In addition
- The candidate must have obtained at least a mean grade of C (plain) at Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (K.C.S.E) Level or Division III at Kenya Certificate of Education (KCE) or equivalent qualification.
- The candidate must have also obtained at least a C- (Minus) in mathematics and at least a C- (Minus) in English or Kiswahili.
- Candidates with mean grades of C (plain) but have less than C- (Minus) in Mathematics and English or Kiswahili can be admitted after bridging in the respective subjects.
- Candidates with a credit in certificate in business from Institution recognized by the Academic Board, and having a mean grade of D+ or equivalent in their K.C.SE, are also eligible for admission.
- Holders of Accounting Technicians Certificate (ATC) Final Level are also eligible for admission.
Egerton University minimum entry requirements for Diploma Programmes
The entry requirements set out below are only minimum, and they do not in any way, entitle an applicant to a place at Egerton University.
- Have the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education with an average grade 'C' passed at one sitting from at least seven subjects drawn from subject groupings as specified by the Kenya
- National Examinations Council or equivalent. Provided that candidates with disabilities will be given special consideration with regard to the number of subjects taken at KCSE. OR
- Hold a certificate from a recognized institution with a 'Credit' pass or higher or equivalent qualification from a recognized institution in the relevant field of specialization, acceptable to Senate AND
- Meet additional or specific entry requirements as may be specified by the respective Department, Faculty, School or Institute offering the Diploma programme.
Diploma in Procurement and Supplies Management - course content
The duration of the courses is two (2) academic years comprising of four (4) semesters of seventeen (17) weeks each.