The Master of Arts in Pastoral Theology program is a professional degree programme designed for pastors with experience in the field of ministry who fulfill diverse ministerial functions of the church, including various leadership roles which require clear and critical thinking, wise judgement, effective communication, integrity in all actions, and recognition of opportunities for service.
Philosophy: It is based on the philosophy that effective ministry demands a solid theological foundation grounded in unchanging biblical doctrines and dynamic methods for effective presentation. Therefore, this programme helps students formulate and apply biblically sound approaches to ministry and mission and uphold the foundation of a commitment to the traditional biblical Christianity in the context of the church in Africa. The benefits you will obtain from taking the degree:
- Apply learned skills of superior and forward-looking approaches to the practice of ministry and mission.
- Have an advanced knowledge of Biblical and theological studies.
- Understand the major events, developments, and intellectual features on global and African settings through the prism of the Bible.
- Articulate a theology of pastoral ministry within the context of pastoral practice.
- Provide dynamic pastoral ministry and leadership in the Christian community.
- Use appropriate tools to analyze the needs of churches and communities.
- Express in the practice of ministry and ministry of the Word an Adventist worldview and biblical perspective.
- Understand basic research methodology applicable to the field of pastoral leadership ministry.
- Acquire academic skills in research and writing
- Respect diversity and differences including religion, race, culture, and gender.
In addition to the general requirements of the University for admission into Masters programs, Master of Pastoral Theology applicants must:
- Have a first degree in Theology/Religion from a recognized university plus 28 credits of General Education courses, with a minimum of 2.5 grade point average (on a 4.0 point scale) or its equivalent.
- Have a minimum of 4-full years of experience. Applicants with less years of field or professional experience may be admitted if they have a minimum of 3.0 grade point average or equivalent and fulfill other admission requirements.
- Must request their former universities and employing organizations to send recommendations directly to the AUA Office of Admissions.