This programme an interdisciplinary postgraduate programme deeply rooted inintegral human development frameworks, research, and analytical skills for a better understanding of the fundamental, social-economic and political issues in society, all of which impact human growth and social development.
The need and urgency of the programme is seen on the basis of:
- The fact that specialization is ever more in demand in today’s society and apostolate, social commitment motivated by faith, within the Church and the society at large.
- The social transformation of the reality inspired by values such as social justice, human dignity, the common good and integrity of creation, requires that ministry integrates with policy, structural change and advanced professional skills with spirituality.
- The development of Social Ministry as an institute of higher learning requires both research in the African socio-cultural context and the training of possible future lecturers within the Institute of Social Ministry. This can be accomplished through a post-graduate programme.
Since Social Ministry is focused on the facilitation of social transformation; the two most needed areas of specialization are Management and Governance. An ongoingneeds assessment, maintains the marketability of these two specializations. The Main Social Ministry will endeavour to realize the following general goals:
- To build up knowledge in the students that integrates faith, social sciences and action for social transformation;
- To equip students with conceptual, analytical and human related skills in specialized areas of management for social transformation and high-quality governance for the common good;
- To upgrade the knowledge and skills of current field practitioners to enable them address the negative social trends in contemporary Africa.