Tourism, or the idea of people traveling to destinations away from their home for business or pleasure, is a growing field with many opportunities. For tourism professionals, these opportunities include work in the facilities where tourists stay as well as employment in the activities tourists undertake during these trips. As an industry, tourism is important to development, growth, and economic potential.
Tourism management is the oversight of all activities related to the tourism and hospitality industries. It is a multidisciplinary field that prepares people with the interest, experience, and training for management positions in the food, accommodations, and tourism industry. Tourism management might also include the enterprises, associations, and public authorities that market tourism services to potential travelers.
- Tour Manager
- Tourism consultant
- Tourism officer
- Tourism Information Centre Manager
- Travel agency manager
- Archives Officer
Tourism Management Diploma - objectives
This diploma in tourism management course introduces the student to the managerial processes involved in travel business operations and destination management, the student will also gain skills and knowledge for organizing a holiday package and best practices for sustainable tourism.
- Learn the best tourism management practices that would encourage sustainable tourism at all levels.
- Change mentality on the tourism industry and the best approaches for developing tourism products.
- Understand flora and fauna of a destination and the significance of special interest holidays such as eco-tourism.
- Understand the changing trends of the consumers and the best counter approaches to meet their needs and wants
- Develop skills in the analysis of concepts and practices in daily business management.
The minimum Entry Requirements for the Diploma in Tourism Management course are:
- KCSE C Minus;
- Pass Craft Certificate in tour guiding and travel operations;
- Any other equivalent qualification as approved by KNEC.
Tourism Management Diploma - course content
- Fundamentals of tourism
- Natural history of East Africa flora and fauna
- Tour guiding techniques
- Touristic history
- Travel operations and customer care
- Communication skills
- Foreign language I
- Information communication technology
- Entrepreneurship education
- Life skills
- Tour operations
- Travel agency
- Tourism geography
- Fundamentals of hotel operations
- Foreign language II
- Tourism accounting
- Tourism economics
- Business plan
- Principles and practices of management
- Tourism policy and planning
- Tourism product development
- Tourism marketing
- Foreign language III