An MBA (Master of Business Administration) is a type of business degree offered through business schools in accredited universities. There are many reasons to consider getting an MBA. Here are some of the most common:
- Because You Want to Advance Your Career
- Although it may be possible to climb the ranks over the years, there are some careers that require an MBA for advancement. Examples include areas of finance and banking and consultancy. Furthermore, there are also some companies that will not promote employees who do not continue or improve education through an MBA program. Earning an MBA does not guarantee career advancement, but it certainly doesn't hurt employment or promotion prospects.
- Because You Want to Change Careers
- If you are interested in changing careers, switching industries, or making yourself a marketable employee in a variety of fields, an MBA degree can help you do all three. While enrolled in an MBA program, you will have the opportunity to learn general business and management expertise that can be applied to nearly any industry. You may also get the chance to specialize in a particular area of business, such as accounting, finance, marketing, or human resources. Specializing in one area will prepare you to work in that field after graduation regardless of your undergraduate degree or previous work experience.
- Because You Want to Assume a Leadership Role
- Not every business leader or executive has an MBA. However, it may be easier to assume or be considered for leadership roles if you have an MBA education behind you. While enrolled in an MBA program, you will study leadership, business, and management philosophies that can be applied to almost any leadership role. Business school may also give you hands-on experience leading study groups, classroom discussions, and school organizations.
- Because You Are Truly Interested in Studying Business
- One of the best reasons to get an MBA is because you are truly interested in studying business administration. If you enjoy the topic and feel like you can increase your knowledge and expertise, pursuing an MBA for the simple sake of getting an education is probably a worthy goal.