With the advent of Modern Science and Technology, the education system in Kenya has undergone drastic changes in the past four decades or so. The changes have affected many courses of study that are being governed by market demands.
The employers are equally keen on the type of graduates being produced by Kenyan Universities.
This curriculum of Bachelor of Education Arts is therefore designed to meet these challenges and demands affecting Kenyas labour market as dictated by both local and international demands.
The curriculum is also designed to provide interdisciplinary approaches for training education professionals and scientists who need to work competitively in all fields and areas in the education sector of this country and beyond.
The programme shall also provide Bachelor of Education Arts graduates with real world situations full of various techniques of teaching, knowledge, skills, attitudes, and experiences that prepare them to meet challenges in the fields of Teaching Learning Process.
While striving to fulfil the gaps identified arising from the needs survey, the Bachelor of Education (Arts) programme has been designed to recognize that its graduates shall: -
- Have strong educational orientation and teaching knowledge in order to provide teaching knowledge, skills and abilities that will:
- Enable successful performance of education system in academic organizations
- Integrate all education organization systems
- Strategize Secondary and Tertiary levels of education and its systematization.
- Exhibit strong educational principles, good interpersonal communication values and virtues through:
- Appropriate teaching / training codes of conduct
- Effective and efficient trained team work
- Excellent work assignment and demonstration
- Being educationally inquisitive and objective in achievements.
- Have strong analytic and critical thinking, knowledge, skills and abilities to:
- Solve educational problems in academic institutions.
- Apply perspective and prospective educational concepts and information
- Conceptualize and systemize functions, principles, procedures, and data in academic institutions
- Design and implement educational solutions that enhance educational institutions performance as per intended contrast to be introduced by:
- Acquiring, processing, designing and storing academic information for the benefit of mankind
- Modeling teaching/ learning processes and, defining them.
- Helping staff and students in schools and colleges to attain their goals of teaching/ learning
Bachelor of Education Arts - objectives
Goal of the Programme
Expected learning Outcomes of the programme
- To prepare graduates who are practical in the teaching profession.
- To meet the increasing demand in the labour market for teaching
management professionals in schools and colleges with relevant knowledge
- To equip learners with the learning capacity and
capability to harness and implement relevant emerging educational skills
- To focus on academic/ educational structure issues
surrounding the strategic use, development and implementation of
teaching skills in schools and colleges.
- To introduce graduates to work particularly, school or college as managers, and teachers
successful completion of the prescribed course of study for Bachelor of
Education (Arts), graduates will have acquired knowledge, skills and
abilities to be able to:
- Effectively teach arts based subjects at secondary and college levels
- Conduct research on art based educational issues
- Develop instructional materials for arts based subjects
- Utilize arts subjects teaching methodologies to adapt to the changing education environment and demands
- Provide guidance and advisory services in career paths in arts related fields.
The following are the minimum requirements for registration into Bachelor of Education (Arts) degree Programme
Entry Vide University Bridging
- KCSE certificate with a minimum of C+ and grade C+ (plus) in English and two relevant teaching subjects. Or
- KACE certificate with a minimum of the two principal passes in relevant teaching subject and O level Credit in English Language. Or
- Diploma in relevant disciplines in the field of education from an institution of higher learning recognized by the University Senate. Or
- P1 and a minimum of C plain in KSCE with two years teaching experience. Or
- Any other qualifications recognized by the University Senate.
- A holder of KCSE certificate or equivalent with a minimum of C+ and lacking cluster subjects (English language and two teaching subjects) as in (i) above. The candidate must score at least a C plain in the subject he/she is bridging in as in 188.8.131.52. (i) above.
- A holder of KACE certificate or equivalent with minimum of two principal passes and lacking O level cluster subject grades as in 184.108.40.206.(ii) above. The candidate must score at least C Plain the subject in which he/she is bridging in as 220.127.116.11 (ii)