The certificate in primary teacher education programme is designed to produce teachers with an in-depth understanding of the subject matter, sound professional skills and ability to adapt to the ever-changing Educational needs in Kenya.
This course trains students to become primary school teachers, these teachers are usually referred to as P1 teachers.
The course graduands are the best suit to teach primary school institutions either public or private.
It is also a bridge to do higher courses like Diploma in Education, Degree in Education and eventually Masters and Doctorate in Education.
The course curriculum includes comprehensive training in languages, basic mathematics, children development, Human and child rights, psychology and administration geared towards the primary school curriculum delivery.
Primary Teacher Education Certificate - objectives
The certificate in primary teacher education programme is designed to produce primary school teachers (P1 teachers) with an in-depth understanding of the subject matter, sound professional skills and ability to adapt to the ever-changing Educational needs in Kenya.
- To develop the basic theoretical and practical knowledge about the teaching profession so that teachers attitude and abilities be turned towards professional commitment and competence
- To develop awareness of the principles of good human relationship in dealing with children and the community
- To develop teachers ability to communicate effectively
- To create national consciousness in every teacher
- To promote awareness and appreciation of the role of technology In national development
- KCSE Mean Grade C (Plain) with a minimum grade of D (Plain) in Mathematics and C-(Minus) in English
- KCSE Mean Grade C-(Minus) for visually impaired (VI - blind), hearing impaired (HI) and physically disabled candidates
Primary Teacher Education Certificate - course content
In the first year of the course, students study the following subjects:
- Mathematics including aspects of Business Studies
- English including aspects of Library Science, Mother Tongue and Drama
- Kiswahili including aspects of Mother Tongue and Drama
- Science integrated with Home Science and Agriculture
- Religious Education (CRE / IRE)
- Social Studies including Home aspects of Business Studies
- Professional Studies including Special Needs Educations, Guidance & Counseling and legal issues in Education
- Creative Arts (Music, Art and Craft and Drama)
- Physical Education
- Information Communications Technology (ICT)
In the second year of the course, Students study nine subjects as follows;
- Professional Studies
- Physical Education
- Each student will then be required to choose four subjects from option A or B
- OPTION A
- Home Economics
- OPTION B
- Science Art and Craft
- Social Studies
- Religious Education
Colleges offering Primary Teacher Education Certificate course