A person seeking to be registered as a CPA student must show evidence of being a holder of one of the following minimum qualifications:
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) examination with an aggregate average of at least grade C+ (C plus) or its equivalent.
- Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education (KACE) with at least TWO Principal passes provided that the applicant has credits in Mathematics and English at Kenya Certificate of Education (KCE) level or equivalent qualifications.
- kasneb technician, diploma or professional examination certificate.
- A degree from a recognised university.
- International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) examination grade C in 6 papers with C in both English and Mathematics.
- Such other certificates or diplomas as may be approved by kasneb.
Exemptions may, on application, be granted to registered students who are holders of certain degrees and diplomas recognised by kasneb. Exemptions will be granted on a paper by paper basis.
- A candidate must attempt and pass the CPA Part I examination before proceeding to the CPA Part II examination.
- A candidate must attempt and pass the CPA Part II examination before proceeding to the CPA Part III examination.
- A candidate will not be allowed to enter a higher section in a part before completing the lower section unless the candidate has been referred in the higher section or has entered the two sections simultaneously.
Duration of Registration as a Student of kasneb
A registered student of the CPA examination will be required to complete the examination within a period of nine years provided that the candidate shall complete:
- The CPA Part I examination by the end of the third year since registration.
- The CPA Part II examination by the end of the sixth year since registration.
- The CPA Part III examination by the end of the ninth year since registration.
kasneb reserves the right to cancel the registration of a student who fails to complete the examination within the stipulated time.
A student whose registration is cancelled under the rules in this paragraph may not be eligible for re-registration.
However, kasneb reserves the right to vary or amend the regulations.