Diploma in Human Resource Management (DHRM) programme at egerton University enables students to gain a clear understanding of various business disciplines i.e. (Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Insurance, Human Resource Management and Management Science). This enables them to relate various functional areas in the organizations and appreciate the need for Human Resource department activities of the various departments.
The diploma is a bridge to the Degree programme in business.
It is a market driven-course which equips students with human resource managerial knowledge and skills that enable them to respond to the changing demand patterns in the market.
A graduate who attains a credit or a distinction in this programme is eligible for credit transfer up to a maximum of 30% of total Credit Factors (C.Fs) in Bachelor in Commerce degree programmes.
Diploma in Human Resources Management - objectives
A graduate from Egerton University with a diploma in Human Resource Management is expected to:
- Demonstrate understanding of the foundations and core modules of the Human Resource Management function in the organization.
- Appreciate the role and contribution of the Human Resource management function in the organization.
- Acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for setting up a Human Resource function in an organization..
- Appreciate the need and ways of acquiring professionalism in Human Resource Management.
- Prepare students for further studies in Human Resource field.
The common Egerton University admission criteria for diploma programmes are applicable. In addition:
- The candidate must have obtained at least a mean grade of C (Plain) at Kenya Certificate of Secondary School or Division III at Kenya Certificate of Education (KCE) or equivalent qualification.
- The candidate must have also obtained at least a C- (Minus) in mathematics and at least a C- (Minus) in English or Kiswahili.
- Candidates with a mean grade of C (plain) but have less than C-(Minus) in Mathematics and English or Kiswahili can be admitted after bridging in the respective subjects.
- Candidates with a credit in certificate in Business field from Institutions recognized by the Academic Board and having a mean grade of D+ (Plus) or equivalent in their (KCSE) are also eligible for admission.
- Holders of Accounting Technicians Certificates (ATC) final level are also eligible for admission.
Egerton University minimum entry requirements for Diploma Programmes
The entry requirements set out below are only minimum, and they do not in any way, entitle an applicant to a place at Egerton University.
- Have the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education with an average grade 'C' passed at one sitting from at least seven subjects drawn from subject groupings as specified by the Kenya
- National Examinations Council or equivalent. Provided that candidates with disabilities will be given special consideration with regard to the number of subjects taken at KCSE. OR
- Hold a certificate from a recognized institution with a 'Credit' pass or higher or equivalent qualification from a recognized institution in the relevant field of specialization, acceptable to Senate AND
- Meet additional or specific entry requirements as may be specified by the respective Department, Faculty, School or Institute offering the Diploma programme.
Diploma in Human Resources Management - course content
The duration of the course is two (2) academic years comprising of four (4) semesters of seventeen weeks each.