Early childhood is the foundation stage for the development of human beings. Learning and developmental activities that take place during this stage have a significant lifelong effect on the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual development of children. This stage, therefore, is important in the development of a healthy and well-balanced adolescent and adult personality.
The design and implementation of the Diploma in Early Childhood Development Education (ECDE) is a response to the need to have appropriately trained Educators in Early Childhood in Kenya.
Early Childhood Development and Education (ECDE) diploma programme covers all aspects of child development and education to ensure that students can effectively meet the needs of growing children and develop a healthy and supportive learning environment.
Teaching can be a challenging profession, but there are numerous benefits to this career. Whether you feel a calling to impact the lives of students, or are drawn to the profession for the ability to make a difference in the education system at large, this field will allow you to make a significant contribution and positive impact on the community you live in.
There is also a high degree of mobility in this sector and teachers can go on to become administrators, guidance counsellors, or social workers. If this sounds like the right choice for you, this Certificate in Early Childhood Development and Education will prepare you with the right skills, mind-set, and knowledge you need to thrive in this field.
Early Childhood Development and Education - objectives
The ECDE diploma programme moulds the students into competent teachers of young children and equips them with the skills and knowledge in understanding the psychology of young children and their development.
Specifically, the programme will seek to attain the following objectives:
- To promote student knowledge of holistic child development, including mental, capabilities, emotional and physical growth, spiritual, manipulation and self-expression.
- To foster student understanding, sensitivity and appreciation of culture and environment as they relate to child rights, care, health and nutrition.
- To enhance the student teaching and learning skills that are appropriate to young children, such as play and child-centred activity-based methods.
- To be informed about the latest issues affecting ECDE teacher Education, research and ethics.
- To equip the learner with knowledge and skills in developing and utilizing ECDE instructional materials and strategies for ECDE programmes.
- To enable the learner understand the philosophical, sociological, historical and psychological perspectives in ECDE.
- To enable the learner acquire knowledge and skills in administration and management of ECDE programmes
- To equip the learner with knowledge, skills and attitudes in the provision of health, nutrition and care for young children
- To enable the learner understand how children grow and develop from conception to adolescence.
- To enable the learner to acquire knowledge and skills in research, monitoring and evaluation
- To equip the learner with knowledge, skills, attitudes and strategies in community capacity building and mobilization
- To equip the learner with knowledge and skills in all ECDE curriculum areas
- To equip the learner with skills, knowledge and strategies to handle the emerging issues in ECDE programmes.
A person seeking to be registered as a student for the ECDE diploma programme, examined by KNEC, must show evidence of being a holder of one of the following qualifications:
- KCSE Mean Grade C (Plain)
Kenya Certificate of Education (KCE) Division 2
Primary Teacher Education (P1 Teacher Training Certificate)
KCSE Mean Grade D+ or KCE Division 3 and in addition have a KNEC ECDE Certificate or Ministry of Education DICECE certificate
KCE Division 3 and Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education (KACE A-Level) Certificate with a minimum of one (1) Principal
Early Childhood Development and Education - course content
- Philosophical, Sociological and Historical Foundations of ECDE
- Curriculum Development
- Child Growth and Development 1- [Conception – 3 Yrs]
- General Methods of Teaching Young Children and Material Development
- Child Growth and Development 2- [ 3 – 8 Years]
- Language Activities
- Mathematics Activities
- Science Activities
- Research Monitoring and Evaluation
- Music and Movement Activities
- Creative Activities
- Health, Nutrition and Care
- Children In Need of Special Protection, Research Project
- Teaching Practice
- General Psychology
- Child Rights and Child Protection
- Physical /Psychomotor Activities
- Community Development
- Social Studies Activities
- Guidance and Counseling
- Child Development 3 – Pre -Adolescence and Adolescence
- Personality Development
- Administration and Management of ECDE Programmes